For myriad reasons I won’t rant about here, I had a pretty crappy Tuesday. My friend Gretchen asked if I had a little joy scheduled as a remedy:
@jennalyns Hope you have some point of joy scheduled into your ooofy Tuesday. If not, can you make joy happen,if only for 5 minutes?
I did, as a matter of fact. I fell in love with Bikram yoga over the summer and have been itching to try an entire week in a row. You’re encouraged to go many days in a row, and I can attest to the notion that it feels like starting all over if you take even a few days off. It’s extremely challenging, but also really energizing and I absolutely love it.
The problem is that with a new job, the wedding planning in full force, and still trying to settle in to a new apartment there isn’t much time left for me to focus on things that make me feel good. This week I’ve put yoga into my schedule every day to carve out 90 minutes of me time. I know that the more time I spend in the yoga studio, the more productive and myself I am outside of the studio. Gretchen’s tweet made me think a little about other points of joy that I tend to give up because I worry I should be using the time to blog/tweet/email/meet/call/other work verbs.
Jenny’s Points of Joy (an ongoing list):
- 90 minutes of Bikram yoga
- Spending an hour or two catching up on my favorite TV shows
- Listening to my Happy Mix
- Posting a love note on the Facebook wall of a friend I’m particularly proud of
- Going for a walk alone in part of the city I’m unfamiliar with
- Opening a bottle of wine, turning up Rosemary Clooney, and cooking my ass off
What are your points of joy?